Tuesday 25 February 2014

Review | NARS Sheer Glow Foundation in Fiji

 
Me wearing the foundation (with flash)
Hi Ladies, today I am going to review for you my current favourite foundation! Nars Sheer Glow Foundation is one of the most talked about 'high end' foundations in the blogging community. I have read countless rave reviews of this foundation and now I am beginning to appreciate the hype! I didn't purchase it for a very long time- 'do you really need another foundation Eleanor?' The answer to that question is yes. I have no idea why I put off buying it for so long as it has quickly become my holy grail foundation. I put a lot of research into buying this foundation. The reviews that I found most helpful were by my two favourite bloggers: Beth and Kayleigh. I bought the foundation online, so I also used the girls' reviews to help me decide the correct shade for my skin tone. I am relatively pale, and both Beth and Kayleigh wear 'Fiji' so I figured that was the one for me too- and I was right!
 
I mentioned this foundation in a previous haul, which you can find here. On Boxing Day, Space NK had an amazing sale and I picked up some Laura Mercier goodies. If you spent over £60 on the website, you were eligible for free delivery. I ummed and ahhed about what else to get, but then decided on the Sheer Glow Foundation. It was a bit of a wildcard purchase- in the back of my mind I was worried about whether I had chosen the right shade, but I am so glad I did as it has taken foundation appliance to a whole new level! My main reasoning for wanting this foundation was for my prom in June. (Just about the only thing I talk/ think about). The SPF (or lack of it) was what swayed me. I was planning on wearing my trusty Chanel Vitalumier Aqua Foundation, but I really do not want flashback from the SPF in the foundation, so Nars seemed a winner! This could also be viewed as a negative point as without SPF underneath, this foundation isn't really suitable in the (hopefully) hotter months.
 
Because this foundation has very strong yellow undertones, when I first applied it, I looked a little odd to say the least and went through the 'Oh my god, what have I done?!' stage. But if you let it settle in to your skin and apply the rest  of your makeup, it looks flawless. And that is not an exaggeration. Having oily skin and quite bad hyperpigmentation and scarring on my cheeks had left me thinking that I will always have to wear concealer- but this foundation has such amazing coverage, that concealer is a thing of the past! Back to my oily skin. The idea of having a 'glowing' foundation does not seem a good idea. The last thing you want is a foundation that makes you look shiny when that's what you are trying to avoid. Unlike foundations such as Rimmel Wake Me Up, which has a subtle glitter in it, Sheer Glow has an almost matte finish and adds a hint of 'glow' to the skin but still looks natural. It is perfect for oily/ combination skin and a little goes a long way. The only problem is that if you have any dry patches, it will cling to them like crazy. So make sure you have exfoliated and moisturised if dry patches are something you suffer from regularly.
 
I apply this foundation over a primer with my Real Techniques Buffing Brush, and it works really well for me. I put a small amount on each region of my face- (each cheek, forehead, nose and chin) stipple it in slightly and the blend, blend, blend! It instantly covers any blemishes or discolouration in the skin, leaving you with an absolutely flawless base. I then add some powder and I'm ready to go for the day. Wear time is great on me- and my skin is especially oily. Whilst I may feel like I need to top up my powder from time to time, I never have the feeling that the foundation is slipping off my face, which is something that I have struggled with in foundations in the past. It also photographs really well because there is no SPF. (As I mentioned above).
 
Everything from the packaging (who doesn't love a glass bottle?) to the foundation itself are amazing. The only negative thing I will mention is that it doesn't come with a pump. I bought a Nars pump for £3 when I bought the foundation, so I haven't encountered any messy applications, but for some people this may be a problem. I'm not sure why Nars don't just add a pump to the foundation as it is a bit of a faff to have to buy a pump as well as the foundation.
 
Overall, this has to be one of my favourite foundations. It's great for day and night wear, medium coverage hides a multitude of sins but it is not in the least bit cakey. I find it works well with my skin type and I really like the colour. If you haven't tried it already, you should definitely have a look at some reviews if you like the sound of it or are in the market for a new foundation.
 
A few places where it is available are Space NK and ASOS. It retails for £30.50 and the pump is £3.
 
I hope you found my review helpful!
 
Love,
Eleanor
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment